Wednesday, November 21, 2007

ThanksGiving

This year around Thanksgiving we are all doing that tedious process of remembering every nitty, gritty detail of life we are thankful for. This year I have come to be thankful for something that others may seem as selfish but that does not really matter to me. We all know we are thankful to be alive, thankful for our friends and family, thankful to have the things we have, and so on. Yet, does anyone ever take the time out of their day to remind themselves to be thankful for the person they are. Or are people not really happy with the person they are so maybe they are not that thankful?

Regardless, though, this Thanksgiving, not only am I thankful for other people and what they are to me but I am thankful for the person I am in life presently. At other times in life I was never as sure of myself to admit that I am actually proud of the person I am. When I was younger I used to fake my face and pretend to be a person who was who they wanted to be. Right now, though, as we are all sitting around our steaming plates of turkey and mashed potatoes, reminising about everything besides ourselves that we are grateful for and in debted to, I would like to be different. I would like, for once, to make the bold statement "Yes, as I am grateful and lucky for everyone else and everything in my life, ultimately I am grateful for myself for the person I am and the person I am striving to be".

So as you are repeatedly going over the same old things that are mentioned to be thankful for, remember yourself. Look inward and remember that, no matter how much help you have received from others, you have gotten yourself to the place you are at today. Be grateful and happy for the way you are and if you are not be happy that you have the time to change who you are. Become a better person and be thankful you want to become that person. Do not wait for New Year's Eve to roll around so you can make that resolution to be a greater person, to be someone you can be thankful for next year. Make that pact to yourself now and in front of the guests sitting around your dinner table so that they can help you become who you want to be.


Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People seldom think of themselves when it's time to give thanks. I admit I do. I think of everyone and everything important to me. But somehow, I slip my own mind. Not my life, because I think of that often. But like you said, the person I am today. So thanks for posting this so I could be reminded to take some time to think of my past and present and be thankful for me.